I start off this gloomy morning deep in thought. I opened up my email to a blog post that I follow and dearly LOVE. It really puts life into perspective and just makes you feel good when you read it. There are days when you just can’t stop thinking about things. Some good things, and some things are a little harder to understand. This thought process that I’m going through right now stems from something that happened yesterday…..but I don’t want to tell you quite yet! (I love doing that!)
I have had my salon for 4 years and 4 months now. Let me tell you, it wasn’t handed to me on a silver platter. There has been a ton of trials and tribulations from even before opening the doors. I want to relate all of that to the blog post I mentioned earlier.
12 Rules for Being a Human Being
1. Growth requires pain. This one I feel has been the most important. Most of you know how the situation was when I purchased this building and started telling everyone I was going to open a salon. Growth requires pain. Plain and simple. Everyday at a job (yours and mine) isn’t all hunky-dorey. There has been days I have questioned if I’m doing the right thing, but because the way you have to look at things, situations like that only make you stronger and open doors for bigger and better things…..with a little determination.
2. You will learn as long as you live. We learn something new everyday in all aspects of our job. Katie and I keep each other on our toes and keep the drive to learn more and more. As long as your living, you will always be learning.
3. There is a positive lesson in every life experience. Wheather this is a good or bad experience, sometimes you just have to look at it the best way you can. Take a step in the right direction, something good lies ahead. There “was” a time in my career when I wanted to do EVERYONE’S hair. Yes. I did. But then you realize there really just isn’t enough hours in the day to realistically do everyone! Knowing that I really can’t do everyone’s hair left opportunity for something more.
4. True beauty lives under the skin. This is why I love working in the environment of having repeat clients. I can’t imagine working at a salon where most clients were walk-ins, and you may never see them again. I love building a relationship with each and every one of our clients. There has been some outstanding changes in the 7 years I have done some clients. Wow, to watch people grow and see the beauty inside, it’s truly amazing.
5. Only you know what you’re capable of. No one can look at you and tell you what you are capable of. People might tell you yes you can or no you can’t, but do they really know? I knew deep down that owning my own salon was what I wanted to do, so taking that step was huge, but I felt that was what was right in my heart. (thanks for pushing me in that direction S.B.)
6. Your love creates your happiness. My job is my love and it definitely creates my happiness. My clients put a smile on my face E.V.E.R.Y.D.A.Y.
7. You earn respect by being respectful. This is so true. It’s a great feeling when you feel like you are respected enough at your job when your clients just trust your judgement.
8. Negativity poisons the soul. Oooooo, this is so simple. It’s so easy to get sucked into that negativity, but don’t let that change who you are. Sometimes we feel we are therapists also (ha), but we learn to not let someone else’s negativity bring the rest of the place down.
9. Your health is your life. This isn’t really something I can judge on, because there is a lot of days I live through the day on candy and pop. Yes. I. Just. Said. That.
10. Letting go is part of moving on to something better. This reminds me of what I said to #3, back to wanting to do everyone’s hair. Clients come and clients go, this used to be SOOOO hard for me. Why? What did I do? Did I upset them? Why are they not happy? Once I accepted the fact that I couldn’t do everyone all the time, or if a client decides to go somewhere else, it made me realize that I opened up an opportunity to take on someone new and make them feel great. You have to let go before you can move on.
11. This moment is a gift. Everything I have been though in my life has led me to this moment in time. Very. Blessed.
12. Your choices design your life. Every decision you make leads to where your life goes. I’m so happy I led myself down the path I have. There is far and few between that love their job. And I’m lucky to have an employee who has that same drive as me.
All of this has strum up from a sweet little surprise yesterday.
It makes me feel like I have accomplished something for myself when I hear that my clients appreciate me and all the things that I do. I truly care about each and every one of my clients. I have the best clients there are out there. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the moment, and appreciate what road you led yourself down.
Thanks to my special client who made my day! You know who you are.
Click here to read their post Mark and Angel Hack Life.