We have been busy here at Cuts to Dye For. Spring Open House was a success as always. We have also survived another Prom Season (maybe I should say “I survived”). Katie doesn’t mind doing it but I think I have done it long enough that I don’t LOVE doing it! :+) Katie and I just got our summer calendar booked out for all of the wedding her and I are in, having to attend, or do wedding hair for. HOLY COW!! There isn’t too many free weekends between the two of us.
Determine Your Style
As much as we like to say it doesn’t matter, looks do matter. Clothes and accessories make an impression about who we are. It is very important for each of us to come into our own style. If you are comfortable in your look, then you will feel more confident in who you are.
First impressions can only happen once. You want to portray who you are with your looks. The look you had in your teen years won’t help convey how you look in your 30’s. You can readjust your look to better reflect who you are today. It is essential to update your clothes and overall look that fits your current style. Here are a few ideas to accomplish your style:
You should have several interchangeable pieces in your wardrobe that identify your style. This will make it easier for you to put together different outfits for different occasions. Knowing what color works best for you, helps to reflect your style as well. You will want to incorporate what colors works best with your skin tone and what makes you feel great. Note what colors make your eyes brighter and skin glow more. Watch out for colors that make you look tired or washed out.
Accessories have a way of adding diversity to your wardrobe. You can wear the same outfit with different accessories and, in doing so you can make a whole new look for yourself. Accessories can also keep your outfits looking fresh.
When you figure out your style, your colors and what accessories works best for you, then you need to go shopping. Start by knowing what you are looking for before you go because this will make your shopping experience much easier! While your style might be one way, you might have specialty accessories or shoes that will enhance your style a little. For example if you are a t-shirt and jeans person, adding a fun purse, a piece of jewelry or shoes can bring a whole new meaning to your outfit.
Here are a few tips for Spring Fashion this year!
- Pair a knit sweater with shorts-sometimes you always have that chill feeling, so don’t put those sweaters away just yet. Who says you can’t throw that on with a pair of shorts.
- Cover up in a jean jacket–this is springs most popular trend and it’s so easy to throw this over a dress or even a plain shirt
- Mix patterns-it is ok now-a-days to mix patterns together and put a basic jacket with it for a chic finishing touch
- White denim-this is the best way to transition from winter to spring. White mixes well with just about anything, from prints, bright colors and also denim.
- Color blocking-this trend is still alive and so easy to do with all the bright colors that are popular this season.
- Get a little graphic-If you think you can’t pull off the brights, go forward with black and white. Get a basic geometric piece (chevron shirt for example) for your closet and accessorize it.
- Add a pop of color-this can be as simple as wearing a jean colored top and adding a colored jacket or necklace. Keep it basic with a little pop of color if that is what you are comfortable with
- Keep your tights out-keep this in close hands for the cooler days. Bust our your spring attire now and add your stockings to keep you a little warmer until it starts to really feel like Spring!
- Corduroy Pants-If you have these in a lighter color, it is perfectly fine to wear these throughout spring for the cooler days.
- Layers-You can’t have too many layers. You never know when/what the temperature is going to be like throughout the day, so layers can help with adjusting from being hot and cold all in the same day. (we do live in Iowa–it can be 30 and 70 all in the same day!)
I swear to it, this is the time RIGHT NOW to step outside your style comfort zone. You know the “old rules” of fashion are constantly flying out the door. You can now wear stripes with polka dots, black with brown and many more. I want you to try something just a little outside your comfort zone–just once. You might find yourself really liking what you are doing and it might become your go to fashion statement. DO IT! DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!!